Thursday, May 21, 2015

The Tom Yum Goong project...

... Was a success! If I say so myself. For a first timer, i.e. I mean, using an instant tom yum paste is easy and all that, but after having tasted some of the most delicious original tom yum in Phuket, I just had to forgo the easy work and try to go conventional. Key word: Try.

I actually watched various YouTube videos on this from reputable chefs (Thai chefs, mostly of course, since they are the authority on the subject) and they made it looked so easy. Given, it looks easy in a way, but in reality the work is a bit tedious. So after a few deliberations, I finally decided that since my man and I both love original tom yum, why not try make one? YouTube is a reliable tutor, hey! And no instant tom yum paste! Yay!

I'm no chef, but thanks to technology, here's lil ol me sharing my humble bowl of Tom Yum Goong (Goong means prawn, so of course there will be prawns in this dish):

*This serving is initially prepared for 3-4 people.

The Ingredients:
A cup of medium sized prawns, deshelled (I should've used huge tiger prawns for this!)
Half a cup of medium sized squids, sliced (cause we had some leftover in the fridge...)
6-8 pieces of kafir lime leaves (also called daun limau purut)
Juice from 2 lemons
3 tablespoon of fish sauce
1 stalk of lemongrass (serai)
8-10 thin slices of galangal (lengkuas)
A handful of mushroom, sliced (I used medium shitake mushroom)
3-4 fresh chili (cili padi)
300ml of shrimp stock (using the head/shell from the prawns coz I don't have chicken stock)
Coriander leaves for garnishing (cause I couldn't find cilantro leaves anywhere... sama sik kah?)
And the secret ingredient: 3 tablespoon of Thai Chilli paste!! (although it's optional to some)

I found this authentic looking can of Thai Chilli paste at Everrise Padungan (after trying to look for them everywhere from Plaza Merdeka to Green Heights Cold Storage)... and they only had 2 left! Lucky me! This one is a popular brand in Thailand (I know cause I Googled, duh) and sometimes they have a different packaging. Priced at RM16++ I think, I don't remember because it didn't matter.

Maepranom Thai Chili paste...

I'm not going to tell you the how-to right here because it's very basic cooking once you have all the ingredients ready, besides, writing about this right now makes me salivate. Haha. Anyway, if you're looking for good video tutorials, I basically just followed Ms Pailin's step-by-step YouTube easy instructions.

Half and hour and almost a burnt tongue later...VOILA!

Tom Yum Goong Coffee Girl's version...

For an amateur, I think I did pretty well, thank you very much! Perhaps I should try remaking it this weekend, with a bigger prawn, maybe?

16 comments:

  1. Uh oh... mesti pedas punya. hehe. Sadly I couldn't take soicy food. Lidah mem. hehehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Azura! no lah, not that pedas. Dont be fooled by the red tinge. :D It's actually more sourish than pedas. =)

      Delete
  2. Looks good and I am missing the Hilltop Tom Yam soup I had in Krabi Thailand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah me too.. missing a good tom yam I had in Phuket...

      Delete
  3. Yummzzz, the bowl of tomyam looks so so good, lots of "liew", you so hardworking, started from scratch.. I'd be too lazy to do that.. Will just get an instant packet.. Oh, I like the white tomyam, very "hoiwai", slurrppp..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had to start from scratch lol. If not hardworking, cannot eat what I love lo, that's why. Tom yam paste usually makes my mouth hakis, so i prefer not to have too much of paste if i can help it. I like the white tom yam too, but i prefer the red soup one. =)

      Delete
  4. Cool! Nice work, you! :)

    *pats on back

    We tried it with Sarawak laksa paste last weekend and it came out pretty good too. This looks really appetizing, can imagine the sour tang of your broth and eating those yummy prawns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Proud of myself hehe. Yes it is sourish and spicy a bit, almost as perfect as the one I had in Phuket, but not quite there yet. In time...

      Delete
  5. Salivating reading this post! Haha... I like the original taste which I had in Thailand. So different from local.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So different kan? Hard to find a good one here, and the closest i can find in Kuching is Pandan Thai Delight only.

      Delete
  6. That looks so good, authentic tom yam taste from Thailand. I've got one very good one too from Kelantan, given to me by my Trengganu friends. In the past, I used Nona, not bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually it's just chilli paste sir, not tom yam paste. Added to any seafood dish, so yummy! even maggi mee. Hehehe. For tom yam paste, i prefer Baba's. Spicy, but not bad.

      Delete
  7. you had me drooling all over thekeyboard now. so yummy leh

    ReplyDelete
  8. I grew up in Thailand during my young days and always saw this brand in all their kitchens like a talisman to spice up wonders! That word Maepranom is actually Mae Pranom which means Mother Pranom. Without this the Tom Yum becomes a disaster and even using other brands will see dropped difference. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? so it's true then, they swear by the brand! so im in the right track! lol! Thanks for confirming it! :D And mine turned out so well if i say so myself! =)

      Delete

Hey, you're here! Leave a message! Always appreciated. Thanks!