Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Easter Monday home-cook day ...

Note: This was supposed to be last Monday's entry... but the pictures came late.

Spending a day off resting at home with lil Carissa on Easter Monday because I had to work over the weekend and I miss the late mornings with her. This is me trying to compensate for those precious moments. Babies grow up very fast, I know, so I don't wanna miss out -- at least trying my best not to -- on her day-to-day development.

Ah. Since it's rest day, I had a bit of time and energy to visit the kitchen. So here's Easter Monday dinner! Simple dish of dad's organic ayam kampung cooked with terung asam. I'm not sure if the term 'spring chicken' is the translation for 'ayam kampung' but as a way of explanation, my dad has a small chicken farm which he tends to every day as a hobby. Ok maybe 'farm' sounds too big... chicken coop then. He bred them organically, more for the meat, so I'd say they're lean, mean and very healthy. Dad's chicken meat supply never runs out, halleluyah for the family.

Sup Ayam Kampung Terung Asam
The What:
- A quarter of a spring chicken or ayam kampung (I select the best parts)
- Half of a terung asam (because the one I had was big in size)
- a stalk of lemon grass
- onion and garlic (blend or crushed)
- dry chilli (blend or crushed)
- fresh bird's eye chilli or cili padi
- Maggie chicken stock cube
- a young turmeric leaf
- 150ml water

The How To:
- Easy lah. Throw everything in a pot, and cook over slow fire.
- Ayam kampung meat is known to be a bit tough so simmer until tender for 30 - 45 minutes
- You may taste the seasoning every now and then to see if the broth is nicely flavored and if the meat is tender enough.
- If you prefer, you can always exchange the turmeric leaf with coriander leaf, although it probably won't taste as exotic.
- No oil is used in this cooking. What you see came from the chicken... =)
- When it's done, just scoop and serve hot with a plate of steamed rice. Simple right?

There you go... Voila! A simple anybody-can-cook meal. 

Easy peasy chicken soup...

I'm a budak kampung and so I kinda like my plate of rice submerged with the glorious spicy hot broth, the more banjir (er... flooded) the better.

Flooded...

HAPPY BELATED EASTER EVERYONE!

20 comments:

  1. Ayam? I always use prawns or fish. Love that terung!!! So nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prawns also nice. =) The terung asam is in season now because it's harvesting season, but then again, it's always in season. :D

      Delete
  2. Good! I was still cracking my head on how to cook terung asam that my hubby bought on Monday. Nice cooking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose, I prefer making soup with the terung asam so the sour taste can add flavor to the broth. If fried with belacan, not so much. Easy cooking actually... no crack head one with this terung asam =)

      Delete
  3. Love your chicken dish.. I love to banjir my rice with soup/gravy too.. Yep, kampung chicken is smaller and not so tender, but healthier..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, kampong chicken meat is tough sometimes, can break teeth LOL but very healthy cause the meat is lean and they eat organic stuff, not pumped up like ayam abok =)

      Delete
  4. aww...i miss the terung asam......my friend from sarawak cooked once before. taste very good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure if u can find those in Semenanjung, unless you plant it yourself, or maybe at the wet market. :)

      Delete
  5. I have some Dayak brinjal in the fridge. Will cook it tomorrow with prawns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make sure the prawn is big big! yumm!

      Delete
  6. thats right. many people dont understand that it is as easy as throw everything in the pot! lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irvine, kannnn? haha well, we're not world renowned chefs, we're just ordinary practical everyday cook. :D

      Delete
  7. That's what I do too! Haha! I'm a "Where's the gravy?" person too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha yeah, the more flooded the better. why scoop from the soup bowl when you can have it all in your plate doublefold? *well, this is only appropriate when you're dining at your own house, that is =)*

      Delete

Hey, you're here! Leave a message! Always appreciated. Thanks!