Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Caffeine therapy at The Coffee Clinic, Kuching...

Well Hello December! My favourite month of the year!

Today's routine trip to the obgyn stresses one thing only: that I should be actively mobile and spend time doing rounds at all the malls in town for Christmas shopping and buy things we don't need, since we still have a few more days before the EDD. A good therapy, that. 

A session with the doc and the ultrasound adventure always make me feel like celebrating. So that's how we ended at The Coffee Clinic, another new coffee place opening up in Kuching. Well they have been around a few months earlier, it's just new to me because I haven't been living up to my namesake expectation of late... but let's not go there.

Overall outlook. Photo: Coffee Clinic Facebook

This place is really pretty, for lack of a better word. Kinda like what I imagine my dream coffee place will be like someday (if I ever I get to relive that dream, ever). Small, cozy, tastefully decorated, a little homely, and a lovely setup for a first coffee date or meet-up or get-together. There wasn't any loud music at the time of my visit... just some low melody barely heard playing in the background. 

They have a range of coffee brew and flavor for you to choose from... served either hot or cold, ice-blended, or straight from that little tube-like lab glasses that oozes off steam and dripping off black concoction. (Sorry no demo pic). And they also have fruit flavored tea and classic branded tea. Ask for the flavor of the day tea! It sounded like fun! Except I already ordered my latter, so perhaps next time.

Front counter...

They also have cakes and biscuits and biscotti to go with your drink. The cake selections may not be as elaborate as Secret Recipe's or Starbuck's, but they have quite a lovely range to feast your eyes upon. 

The cake counter...

Meanwhile, the hot caramel latte macchiato I ordered was exquisite and looking really fine, served with a really creamy and melt-in-your-mouth almond cookie...

Caramel latte macchiato... a pretty one...

... To go with my cheesy chicken panini. They also have pasta, burgers, finger food... but for this time, nothing too heavy, after all it's just mid morning. The toasted panini was not bad either, since I wasn't expecting anything fancy. It was enough to assuage the morning hunger pang.

Cheesy chicken panini...

My partner in crime on the other hand, decided to order their Meal of the Day -- Ayam Penyet -- knowing full well it might be a gamble. And a gamble it was... in which they lost. I had a taste and all I can say is... If you had called it Grilled Chicken Rice instead of Ayam Penyet, my system would learn to accept and appreciate it better. Because in fact the dish is okay, it's just the name that would make you expect more.

Ayam Penyet, menu of the day...

Anyway, I didn't manage to snap a few other shots of the interior and exterior as I was too busy trying to settle my big belly down. Haha. But credits to blogger Dora for this lovely shot of the upper bunker seats, kinda like an attic seating setup, with contemporary handrails, and seats a maximum 5. 

Photo: Blogger Dora Yeu

Overall, I'd say getting your dose of coffee fix at a clinic like this may be a little pricey, but hey... once a while, when it's worth the drink, why not? My blood type is coffee, it says. 

The midmorning damage...

Hey listen, I won't recommend coffee for pregnant ladies, but talk to your doctor first. I got my clearance at just a cup a day (including coca cola, tea and all other caffeine intake) since I began, so don't judge me. =) This is the only clinic legal to give you the kind of high you need in a cup. 

Location: Refer to the receipt above. It's at Jalan Song. Next to The Bedroom, same row with Secret Recipe. Right opposite the road from CityOne Mall. You can't miss it.

Have a great December everyone! 

26 comments:

  1. Menarik. Have you try Coffee Factory, sia pun mcm rami jak orang.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ez Vina: yang di bt 7 ya kah? Selalu lalu sia, masih baru. Belum sempat try gik. U dah?

      Delete
  2. Not my kind of place since I am not into coffee. However I don't mind a cup of nicely brewed tea. ^^

    That is definitely not the chicken as we would expect in an ayam penyet dish. Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose: the fruit flavored tea wud be nice :). And the chicken... I know right? My best best is it's oven grilled and then tenderized n served with lighy bbq sauce. Different kind of nice but doesnt justify it being called ayam penyet tho. ^^

      Delete
  3. Nice! I think I know what the tube-like lab glasses are - although I don't remember the actual name for it. I've seen it at one of the boutique coffee places - it's a machine that condenses and "distils" coffee right from the beans.

    I like a simple pour over myself these days - have an outlet I go to right outside where I live. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like a simple pour over myself too, if there's a cafe that offers that type of service, with free , like in Friends series. 😊 stimes tho, it's nice to have a pretty cup of coffee to pamper urself. Yeah ive seen some boutique coffee places offer that 'lab' glasses treatment, i just don't think im gonna like it. Lol...

      Delete
    2. Yeah, me neither, it's too complicated those lab contraptions...

      I'm partial to the pour over myself and it's quite affordable at Cosan's just outside my place. RM 7-9 depending on the brew you choose (brew of the day or limited runs like their Ethiopian single origin).

      Delete
    3. Those lab contraptions make coffee feel like some harmful chemical! LOL or maybe it's just me. And the only free refill coffee/tea in town is the one McD offers for breakfast. Maybe we shd look into that someday

      Delete
  4. Hot latte dengan ayam penyet. Kalau kat sini rasa kena pg tapau kat gloria jean dulu baru singgah warung bakso.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gloria Jean coffee tak pernah try, sedap tak? Ada pass by saja tapi tak masuk. :)oh bakso... Sedap tu

      Delete
    2. Ok. saya tak banyak komplain sangat. Tapi bagi sya Coffee bean dan Tea leaf the best.

      Delete
  5. I wonder why they call the place a clinic. There's a cafe thus named at Gurney Plaza in Penang - where everything would be instruments and equipment one would find in a clinic or a hospital.

    Panini looks good - and the chicken in the ayam penyet too,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suituapui: yalor... But in this one no one dressed like a missy or doc. Lol. Maybe it's called that as in a place to get ur daily shot of coffee addiction. Panini is nice. They have different menu of the day everyday. :)

      Delete
  6. hello....new url ya....i just found

    good morning :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Small Kucing, i tot u already knew
      :) i dont update the old link anymore.

      Delete
  7. hi5! i love december too! everything just seems so smooth here! =D
    looks like nice cafe! and i didnt know pregnant lady cannot drink coffee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Henry Tan: Hi5! Yes smooth and steady. Pregnant lady not encouraged to take caffeine but can be limited to a certain dose a day. :)

      Delete
  8. Few more days before the EDD? Means anytime this week yes? Wishing you a safe delivery ya..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Princess Ribbon: Thanks! still waiting for the moment to happen now. :-)

      Delete
  9. What an interesting name and would definitely attract coffee addicts like me. I love the steps going up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twilight Man: Yes the place is also pretty too! More seats on the outside for those enjoying cool breezes. :-)

      Delete
  10. oo coffee clinic, will they add medicines?

    The place look comfortable. especially the outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irvine, indeed it is. Ambience is cozy :)

      Delete

Hey, you're here! Leave a message! Always appreciated. Thanks!