Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Homemade Cucur Cempedak ... Checked!

So I had been craving for this delicious coffee-time delicacies for a few days and finally managed to assuage the yearning last night, by fixing it on my own at home since it's really difficult to find stalls selling this stuff anywhere in Kuching.

The locals call it Cempedak. I don't know the English word for it, but it is in the same family with jackfruit and breadfruit. But of course, cempedak is softer, lusher, and best eaten as cucur cempedak (or cempedak fritters), for me lah. This fruit is in season now and easily found in your local farmers market for a price of RM3-RM5 per fruit, depending on the size and level of ripeness.

Ok now pictures, do your stuff. Let me take a back seat while I imagine eating them again.

Step 1: Get a ripe or medium ripe fruit. You can ask advice from your seller the best one to make fritters with. The too ripe one will be too mushy and might caramelize the whole mixture later.

Step 2: Cut the fruit open. Notice the perfect yellowish medium ripe colour...

Some people prefer to fry the flesh with the seeds together, but I prefer mine all fleshy. Your preference really, I just don't like to chew the seeds while enjoying my fritters, and besides, the seeds tend to be undercooked anyway (and might end up thrown away).

Step 3: My preference? Using clean hand, separate the flesh ...

Step 4: ... from the seeds. Put the seeds aside, we'll deal with that later...

Step 5: For the flour mixture, combine regular wheat flour with a pinch of salt and enough water in a bowl. Then immerse the cempedak flesh inside the batter, ready for deep-frying ...

Step 6: Heat enough regular oil inside a deep-frying pan, then carefully scoop and put the immersed cempedak in, one by one...

Step 7: Wait for 5 - 8 minutes or until it has turned a slight gold, then turn them over and fry for another 5 - 8 minutes until completely turned gold. Watch your frying temperature...

Step 8: Scoop them out, and tadaaaaa!! First batch is done! Get ready for the next batch until you finished frying the whole lot...

Step 9: Fork one and take a bite while it's still hot! Or bring them over for some good cuddling time in front of the TV while watching Lifetime Channel with your loved one...

That was easy right? I'm no chef, but when the time calls for desperate measure, then we will answer the call!

Oh by the way, as for the seeds, those are edible too. For the final step...

Step 10: If you had decided to split them from the flesh, you can boil this inside a pot for like maybe 20 -30 minutes on medium fire or until the seed is soft. Sprinkle a pinch of salt for some flavor. When the seeds has softened, hey it's cooked! Drained, serve and best taken on its own, like you would eat boiled peanuts... or sprinkle with melted brown sugar and have some with sugar-free tea. :-)

So that's it then. What baby wants, baby gets. Have a fun cucur cempedak day everyone! 
.
.
Note: Pictures of Xiaomi Mi3 quality only.

11 comments:

  1. Not my favourite but I've a friend in NZ - she would give a hand or a foot for this. I quite like the seeds...or the cempadak muda masak lemak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Long time didnt eat this local fruit. But dont dare to eat much as its heaty.

    I like cucur cempedak too. sweet and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suka.. Suka.. Suka mkn tp malas goreng :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Walau wey...I lapar oledi. I used to fry them with the bijik sekali. Huhu!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG!!!!!!

    I *love* this stuff! I first had a stuffed version (savory version with cempedak and meat inside batter) at a restaurant, which was quite good but I prefer the regular ones like you made.

    I've seen it in a lot of pasar malam and always gets some when I pass by. I've never tried making it myself though...great work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Could sell this at Kuching Fest next year. RM5 for ten cucur.. imagine that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yummy...i love this. But i cant eat too much coz will end up having sore throat

    ReplyDelete
  8. You request visitors to leave message. I see quite a number but you do not seem to appreciate them. I would never let people into my home without a short thank you for dropping in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Suituapui: oh yes cempedak muda masak lemak... or masak belacan! yummy!

    Rose: heaty? ok thats the first ive heard of it. Cucur wont make u so heaty i think.

    Ez Vina: hahaha sebab susah nak cari tu lah kena goreng sendiri. doesnt take long anyway :D

    Willie: the stalls also like to do it like that but that wud waste the seeds, i quite like the seeds on its own. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Huai Bin: there's a savory version with meat inside? wow that's the first ive heard if it. It's quite easy to do urself too u know. :-) It's in season now in Kuching although to find stalls selling them is like a hit and miss thing. Try it! :D

    Cyril Dason: ya RM5 for 10! exotic stuff!

    Hayley: yes it does!

    Small Kucing: take it in moderation then =)

    Al Manar: oh sorry has been busy lately. I do appreciate everyone's comment, I just cant reply on time enough. But thank you for dropping by! =)

    ReplyDelete

Hey, you're here! Leave a message! Always appreciated. Thanks!