Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Kuih Tako!

... Meanwhile, hey let's take a brief break from the travel posts. After all it's the Fasting Month ma...

I don't fast, but I do support the local food market and so here I go doing my part to help generate the local economy. Besides, this is the best time to go food hunting because some of the best and hard-to-come-by local delicacies are out in the open!

My favorites during the Puasa Month? Kuih tako! These are tiny little drops of goodness made from rice flour, Hoen Kwe flour, coconut milk, sweet corn seed, sugar and salt... lovingly prepared onto tiny basket-like mould made from carefully folded pandan leaves (some used yam bean leaves/sengkuang). Apparently, I've been told that the Hoen Kwe flour is what makes this kuih special, it's made from some type of nuts (peanuts maybe?). You can google the recipe yourself. :D

Kuih tako from Matang Jaya Ramadhan Bazaar...

I live for moments like these... at home enjoying my takeaway takos with my loved one. Since I'm the only one at home crazy about them, hey more for me! And well, there's always everyone's classic favourite: miniature curry puff with sweet potato filling. 

For those observing the Fasting Month, here's wishing you 
Selamat Berpuasa and Selamat Sungkei!

Karipap, kuih tako, kuih onde-onde gula melaka, ABC...

7 comments:

  1. I love kuih Tako, your post reminds me to visit the bazaar Ramadhan today! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! I like this blog entry...it showcase some of our favourite local kuih hahaha.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband fav tu kuih tako... I havent been able to go any bazaar so far. Lets see if i can make it to at least one before it end :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the onde-onde. Always my favourite kuih.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hayley: haha yeah you should! two more weeks then they wont be around anymore.

    Ez Vina: same to you dayung! :)

    Adi Herman: hehe apa feverit kitak tek?

    Lindy: hahaha it was in the table, sik sengaja masuk frame.

    ztie: awww u shd at least once. but well, crowded as usual for me. i go once or twice per season, cukuplah

    Rose: i like the one with hot liquid gula melaka inside that when u pop them in ur mouth, the gula melaka will burst and burn ur tongue. heaven! lol

    ReplyDelete

Hey, you're here! Leave a message! Always appreciated. Thanks!