Friday, November 22, 2013

If my mother had a blog ...

... I could only imagine what she would write about.

She is this gentle soft-spoken lady who doesn't talk much, but speaks when the situation calls for it. By soft-spoken, I mean when she deals with friends and acquaintances or even strangers. But in bringing up her children, she is always assertive and will only raise her voice (or her eyebrow) when the situation becomes too much for both parties.

Of course, growing up outside of the technology era, childhood then was  more fun. No TV means no violent shows or soap comedies or daytime series where teenagers talk back to their parents etc. There were books, meager toys, and actual friends and same-age cousins who came over for playtime. Bringing up kids in those days were relatively easier.

I can imagine my mom writing a post about how her eldest kid excelled in babysitting the other siblings. How quickly they grew up and how she would wish she could hold back time. Or not... especially when the only boy in the family kept her on her toes all day.

She would probably write about the first day of school for everyone. Dad was a teacher then. He was transferred a lot, resulting in some of us growing up in different place, space and time hence the diverse childhood experiences.

My first day of school took place in Simunjan where my dad was the Headmaster. You'd think someone like me would be more obedient, or would love school because dad ran the school. Nope. I rebelled the first week of school. Throwing a tantrum (which lasted for a week) every time mom would wake me up. I can imagine she would post a picture of me hanging on the front door all teary-eyed and sniffly and looking unkempt while dad tried in vain to talk me into following him to school (with the other pupils watching). His gentle diplomacy apparently worked with the older kids, but not on the second youngest.

Lounging on the Throne: A cranky 3-year-old...

If mom had an Instagram, all of us kids would be a living journal then.

She would also probably write about her kids' achievement. Who got what place in class, who got how many A's, who wore what, whose friends bring what toys home, etc. It would be fun to read.

On the offhand note, she would also probably post about her adventures moving towns with dad after every promotion. She would probably hint of wanting to stay rooted or take permanent root elsewhere near home, but never would she write about her dissatisfaction. If she had any. She's the kind of woman who takes things all in stride. Back when she was adventurous then.

Being a teacher's wife and a mother of six -- all girls and just 1 boy -- probably has its own drama and adventure. I don't ever recall her complain about anything in her life. Not her wardrobe, her looks, not even her house which was always in a state of kids-chaos.

I was 7 years old when dad left the teaching profession to become a Pastor. And then the lady of the house followed suit and transformed to become a preacher's wife. I think she was made for her role, her humility and quiet strength just all fell into place. Dad must've been very proud to have her by his side throughout the transition. Even now.

I remember bringing my boyfriend (now my fiance) home about a year plus ago. She was always courteous even while sizing up the man who she suspected was the one to take me away someday. She didn't ask much question, didn't offer much information either, but just sat there indulging us with her quiet company. Sometimes she seemed far away in her thoughts that I was often surprised how astute her sense of hearing was. Mothers.

If she had a Twitter then, she would probably say "Daughter brought home bf today. Possibly the one?" or perhaps "Look who's joining for lunch today! The first time my little girl brought someone home who isn't a classmate or a former playmate" or maybe "Omg I cannot believe my eyes. My baby's all grown up!". I'm ancient, but it's good to read that if she ever did tweet like that.

And now closer to my wedding day, I suppose she would write about the going-ons with her future son in law. Her deepest thoughts on the whole interlada, and if she would agree on the man of my choice, etc. She won't write it all out -- knowing full well I'd be a follower of course -- but if there's one thing my mom is good at, it's saying things accurately without saying anything at all. A strange kind of apt vagueness that few people could read into. Something that I learned from her. Vagueness I mean.

Mostly, she would lay out in coherent words her own preparations for the big day. Giving advice to friends, maybe dispensing tips on weddings etc. Wait... that doesn't sound like her. Perhaps she would just write The 101 on how to let go of your second youngest daughter. [Second youngest kids are usually more cranky and needs more attention than the youngest due to them being in that position. Youngest kids get to have full attention what.]

My mother's daughter...

Sigh. If my mother had a blog, I  bet she would be a very good writer. She would hit her mark right on the spot. She would be vague, insightful, perhaps a tad sarcastic, dropping lots of hints, but always straight to the point... if you know what her points are. All from the single point of view of a wife and a mother. And a very sharp observer.

But, as it is, I am only imagining this. I wish she did, because then she could write a whole book. Those are stuffs of a good story. How can the world survive without stories like hers? To have seen the world and not write about it, to have lived and relived those valuable life experiences and not recount them, to have gone through and so much, and not record them?

Meanwhile, this is a recount of my own journey. Soon I will be someone's wife, and while I am still and will always be my mother's daughter, I foresee that I will have less time to spend with her. I hope by the grace of God, I am in her eyes, the woman she always prayed I would grow to be.

This is a dedication to you Mommy, the Queen of My Heart. <3. I thank God for you everyday. *sniffs sniffs*

NOTE: COUNTDOWN TO THE BIG DAY Pt 1
...
Next: Now if DADDY had a blog...

14 comments:

  1. Aaawww.. so sweet la this post.. Maybe I will write this one day.. haha.. interesting topic.. now I wanna read your next post.. hehehe..

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always ... well written n luv reading it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. darl how much time do you usually spend on writing ur blogposts? all of them are always beautiful... envy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting!
    My mum will not have any blogs or media sites, cause she's not good in IT at all ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Sometimes she seemed far away in her thoughts that I was often surprised how astute her sense of hearing was. Mothers." - I swear she has supesonic hearing! I recall when you dad was asking her something from the living room in a very soft voice, and she answered despite being in the kitchen. Wooaaahhh!!

    Anyway, beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If only my mum has a blog too....hmm.

    Nice post, I enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet, tp lucu la gambar cowgal ya ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahlost: thank you! ya u totally should! gonna be a wife myself makes me a bit emotional huhu

    Tia: thank you mama :)

    Fina Sophie: a day... plus... sometimes i just save them in drafts until i can return with more inspiration to finish them. :) nothing is written in minutes. the harder it is to write the better i feel after writing it. And thank you!

    Hayley: Lol ya my mom too, but that's what's pure and beautiful about her.

    Cyril Dason: of coz at that time she was acutely listening to sounds of you, and if she cud find anything to protest about. Lol. Lucky for u she didnt haha. And thanks <3

    Rose: if ur mom had a blog she'd be an awesome writer too! and thanks! :)

    Ez Vina: hehe saja pakai tambah visual






    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh dear, this is one of those entry worth reading based on my opinion, sis..if my mother had a blog, im sure it would be like murai.com hahhaa full of gossips and rumours...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice post, so sweet...and great perspective in looking as things gone by in your life. Thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It would be nice to read what she writes about you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adi Herman: oh thank u Adi. :) but she's ur mom, ud love her anyway kan. LOL

    suituapui: Thank you! :) we try.

    Willie: yeah it wud be nice to read what she'd write about me too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I honestly believe people back then had more fun. I mean, even without gadgets and all, people were peaceful with each other. Especially those who live in quiet places.

    A mother's love is everything.

    Can't wait to get back to visit my family this end of year! :)

    Happy Wednesday, Coffee Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Maybe I should write something on if my dad had a blog, it would be interesting

    ReplyDelete

Hey, you're here! Leave a message! Always appreciated. Thanks!