Thursday, October 4, 2012

Dabai in little big town Sibu ...

Guess what people?

This would be the best time of the year to go visit SIBU! No no no ... not for the night life or the clubbing scene as recently reported in one of the local dailies. Although for the life of me I couldn't understand nor accept why some people would be so ridiculously shallow to actually be judgmental of other people who were only out in town for some unwinding sessions with friends or acquaintances without bothering anybody nor spending other people's money but their own. I say... that article would potentially pissed a lot of people, if it didn't already. It's not about drinking or having a rowdy good time or showing bad examples to future gens that's the issue now, isn't it? The editor probably overlooked that report, otherwise it never would've made it to print, or at least rewritten, like what my ex-boss would've done in those days. Unless you're a blogger or a columnist with your own dedicated space or an established well-known journalist or writer, you don't get to write news piece like that and injecting your own opinions, worst when it's biased opinions, which is why you weren't supposed to do so in the first place. You think easy meh being a reporter? You have to be a responsible uneasily-swayed writer, otherwise you would downgrade the very paper that pays your bills. Become a blogger also people would condemn us for simply opine on something.

Tsk tsk tsk. BUT... My. How I could digress! See what you made me do? 

Anyway... I was going to say that this would be the best time to visit SIBU because dabai season is here again!

A little 411 on this fruit: Dabai can only be found in Sarawak. There, special exotic native fruit, Sarawakians, don't you just love yourself now? And it grows best along the Batang Rajang river, which explains why it is found abundantly in Sibu because its feeder areas are Kapit, Song, and Belaga, and sometimes in Kanowit. Which also explains its distinctive taste compared to dabai grown in other places in Sarawak, like Kuching. My friend who's a so-called dabai expert, said that it would be lucky indeed if dabai can grow elsewhere other than along that river, and even if you take the seeds from Song for example, when grown elsewhere, it wouldn't have the same taste. How would I know? I listen, take note, eat, make comparison, take note, eat, make comparison, eat... and by the time I'm done comparing, I'd be too full to be hey -- word of the day! -- JUDGMENTAL!

So last week I went to Sibu on official business, made my way to the wet market after work concluded, and bought myself a RM24 per kg worth of freshly picked dabai. Expensive? Ho yeah! But who cares. It would go down as cheap as RM8 per kg once the season is in full blown in another month or so, but hey, I'm in Sibu already. Why not right? It's not like I come to Sibu all the time to spend money having a good time and get harassed for it.

Price differ depending on grades, level of freshness, and size...

For the untutored, dabai is purplish black in colour when ripe, before that it was white. You need to soak them in hot water (or lukewarm water, for some) for a few minutes until tender. Drain the water, sprinkle with salt (if you prefer), then voila! Ready to be served! 

Best taken on its own while watching CSI, or with a proper meal. I like mine dunked in a dose of soy sauce with chilli and sugar. The hotter it is, the more action your morning after will get. :p

And you thought you could give Sibu a bad name? Shame on you.

21 comments:

  1. Anddddd... i still don't get dabai. unless it's in the form of nasi goreng. we managed to plant dabai in our orchard in Bau..this year will be the third harvest. but true that it is different than those grown in Sibu. It is smaller in size.

    ReplyDelete
  2. eh..look yummeh. esp with the chili kicap..



    *but its look like a giant size blueberry to me.. lulz

    ReplyDelete
  3. miss kopi, fyi di sarikei dabei just RM16 per kg...bought it 3kgs last visit :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nimi: the nasi goreng one is the preserved one. Also nice. My friend also planted in her orchard in Siburan area, the fruit is smaller in size, and less creamy (or maybe i imagined it) lol.

    Hanie: it wud be slightly a lil big bigger than the blueberry, like olive. :-) sedap nih.

    Boan: Yeah? :( i dont have business in sarikei so far so no luck. :( next time madah mun ke sarikei, leh pass lui to tapau for me. can?

    ReplyDelete
  5. RM8??? I don't think so. The really very lemak ones have not gone down below RM20 for as long as I can remember. My favourite fruit...but I've stopped buying and eating!

    I did buy a handful of red ones the other day though - see my blogpost on it. Just bought a handful to try, never seen red ones before in my life. RM35 a kilo!!! *faints*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I add sugar and dark soy sauce to my dabai. Just got mine from my Father-in-law who dropped by from Kapit. I don't fancy it, but hubby does. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice.... i heard the darker the better... but i'm not dabai eater.... huhu....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Thank God im not the only blogger that really craze this kinda fruit. Im really loving dabai and also engkalak,another fruit that also suitable to eat together with rice.about the news report,well,biased opinions are equally to provocative polemic...so dont bother to analyze it too much. Let bygone be bygone ok sis.hehe

    ReplyDelete
  9. wooo..never try that before, looks delicious..;)..by the way how does it taste?

    ReplyDelete
  10. you actually made me look at wiki to get an idea what this fruit is... I thought it was Duhat (in my native lingo) idk how you call that fruit in your country of if you have that in there... any ways going back.. according to wiki it taste like avocado so now i am curious and wanna have a taste... :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Suituapui: there were a few times i bought an RM8 per kong (not kilo, sorry) when there were too many sellers already in sibu. donno abt now, seems that they agree to control the price. Red ones? wah... exotic!

    Rose: sugar and kicap... yumm! u dont fancy it? ur missing the world! lol

    Nt Gravity: I heard the same, but im not too sure either. i just pick them by their size and look of freshness.

    Adi Herman: hehehe halllo dabai friend! i love engkalak too! that one baru ada pokok behind my house. Yes bad report, and as of now it's becoming a joke. poor paper...

    ReplyDelete
  12. stan: how to describe... hmm...creamy, a bit like avocado but not actually like it. Come to Swak and try it, it's in season now! :p

    Genskie: yes... like avocado a bit. distinctive unique taste actually. It has a big seed inside, so u end up eating only bits of the flesh. You have to dunk it in hot water for a few minutes. =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Blom nampak di kuching gik. Sabar menunggu..

    ReplyDelete
  14. my oh my! DABAI!!! i hope i can spot it somewhere in Kuching next month. *drooling*

    ReplyDelete
  15. How come u never tapao for me? :( sadness...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never seen this before. I feel so ketinggalan.

    If we do meet in the future, don't forget to give me these ya. Hahaa.

    Happy Monday, Coffee Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  17. dadyana: kuching sale lagi mahal oo... :p

    Jacqueline: u never say u want lo...

    Armstrong: hahaha it's ok. if we do meet in the future u have to remind me again, it might be over season or not yet in season. Happy Wednesday Arms!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love everyting about dabai..paling suka makan isik biji dabai...yamm...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ez Vina: kuching mahal deng... unless ya org pun tanam sitok.

    Nur68: sik pernah makan isik biji dabai. sedap kah?

    ReplyDelete
  20. CG, you should try...tp tedious la...u hv to crack open the seed..bigik nya keras...so hv to be careful when u crack it open...isiknya nya putih ijo in color...nyaman n lemak..u hv to take it out with tooth pick...try la..

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nur68: la.. baru nampak komen ni. sowie. Oh i know abt that, been told, but like u said, tedious, so i didnt attempt it. The seed is hard! patah gigi hahaha. but thanks for the info

    ReplyDelete

Hey, you're here! Leave a message! Always appreciated. Thanks!